Updated July 2016: Added Household Budget Survey 2014/15 Preliminary Results, Integrated Labour Force Survey 2014, Consumer Price Index and Tourism Statistics.
Given recent journalistic interest in Zanzibar, and my work within the Revolutionary Government of Zanzibar’s Planning Commission for two years up to October, I want to share some key data sources.
I’ve been careful to only include documents that are already online. The documents can be confusing, incomplete and/or out of date, but to my knowledge, these are the best publicly available sources of data on Zanzibar and it took me two years to find all of these.
Please ask me on Twitter (@jamiepett) if you have questions about this data or if you think anything is missing.
Economy, Demography, Poverty and Education
- Socio-Economic Survey 2014 (GDP, GDP growth, GDP per capita, population)
- Interactive Database for Census 2012 (Tanzania, disaggregated for Zanzibar), 2012 Population and Housing Census – Descriptive Tables (Disaggregated demographic information)
- Household Budget Survey (HBS) 2014/15, Household Budget Survey (HBS) 2009/10 (Poverty data)
- Integrated Labour Force Survey (ILFS) 2014, Integrated Labour Force Survey (ILFS) 2006 (Employment data)
- Annual National Accounts 2007-2014 (Detailed GDP data, NB: re-based in 2014)
- Consumer Price Index by month – best found on OCGS homepage
- Tourism statistics by month – best found on OCGS homepage
- Tanzania National Panel Survey (2008/09, 2010/11, 2012/13. NB: The poverty headcount here uses a different methodology/poverty line to the Household Budget Survey and so the two results cannot be directly compared)
- Annual Education Statistics Abstract (Education statistics)
- Zanzibar Vision 2020 (The overarching long term development plan)
- MKUZA II ( Medium term Economic Growth and Poverty Reduction Strategy 2011-2015)
- Zanzibar Growth Strategy 2006-2015 (Outlines key growth sectors)
- MKUZA II Implementation Plan, MKUZA II Monitoring Masterplan (Gives more detail on implementation and monitoring of MKUZA II)
- Wasemavyo Wazanzibari (Public opinion in Zanzibar from surveys carried out by ILPI and the State University of Zanzibar [SUZA])
- The Office of the Chief Government Statistician (OCGS) (Zanzibar)
- The National Bureau of Statistics (Tanzania)
- The Tanzania Socio-Economic Database (TSED)
- The Zanzibar Planning Commission
- Uchaguzi (Website put together by Ben Taylor of Twaweza full of data and analysis relevant to Tanzania’s 2015 election)